Your First Open-Source Contribution
Monday, September 25, 2023, 1pm - 2pm
Location: Room 740 @ Health Sciences building
Registration Link: https://ktq3lcblh4r.typeform.com/to/DzCJFJwG
Are you a student with some experience in programming? Do you want to explore the world of open-source contributions and understand the magic behind collaborative coding on platforms like GitHub? If so, this workshop is tailored just for you!
Join us for an interactive session with Larry, a GitHub Campus Expert and biostatistics PhD student, who will guide you step-by-step to make your very first open-source contribution using GitHub integrated within RStudio or via the command line. By the end of this workshop, you’ll not only have a deeper understanding of the open-source community but also the confidence to contribute to it.
→ Here are this workshop’s slides
What You’ll Learn:
- Basics of Git & GitHub: Understand the core concepts and workflows.
- Setting up GitHub within RStudio: A seamless integration experience.
- Finding the right open-source projects: Navigate projects that align with your interests and skills.
- Making your first Pull Request (PR): Contribute code, documentation, or even data to a project.
- Best practices: Ensuring your contributions are meaningful and accepted.
→ Here are the slides from last September’s workshop